School back and like most parents I am often caught looking for something healthy to pack in lunch boxes for treats. As a kid, I remember, there would always be rava ladu, besan ladu or some other ladu at hand for a quick snack – so I decided to make something similar.
This recipe is an easy, delicious yet healthy treat for kid lunch boxes. An added bonus is that it the perfect afternoon tea snack when you are about to reach out for that piece of chocolate. Besides, the store bought treats are either high in sugar or sodium, both of which you can avoid with this sweet treat.
The low GI qualities of the Basmati rice will keep you and the kids feeling satiated for a while and the cocoa powder satisfies your chocolate cravings.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked basmati Rice
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sultanas
- Heat a pan on medium and add oats and almonds – toast until golden brown.
- Add milk, rice, honey, sultanas and cocoa powder.
- Cook until the mixture becomes thick.
- Tip the mixture over on a baking paper and let it cool.
- Shape the mixture into medium size balls
- Roll them in desiccated coconut.
Enjoy the sweet treat. Refrigerate in an airtight container and this stays for a week.